Monday 9 June 2014

Sundays at Columbia Road Flower Market


Last weekend I made a visit to London for the RHS Chelsea Flower Show
While the show had some of the most incredible displays of award-winning flowers and some really beautifully designed gardens, a fairly unexpected flowery surprise was also to happen on the Sunday morning of my trip when I paid a quick visit to Columbia Road.

Unlike the famous annual Chelsea event, this flowery occasion happens every Sunday, showcases some amazingly pretty floral displays, and has absolutely no admission charge. 


Every Sunday Columbia Road transforms from a quiet road of Victorian shopfronts to a busy bustling flower street market. Everything and anything flower related is up for grabs here - from shrubs, to bulbs, to baskets, to banana plants to lots and lots of freshly cut flowers. 

Hay-fever sufferers you have been warned.

Unfortunately, I was flying back to Ireland that afternoon and so had to resist the urge (with all my might) to pick up a bunch of pink peonies or a bouquet of Sweet Peas. But for those of you who are lucky enough to be living nearby, their prices were fairly cheap and the flowers extremely gorgeous!

Although I sadly came away empty-handed I did of course have a camera on-hand and managed to leave with A LOT of photos. I'll let them do the rest of the talking.


                        Prepare yourself for an overload of flowery photos!


Doggy day trip!
A banana plant with just one perfectly ripe banana
Hanging basket displays
sweet peas
Beautiful bouquets of roses
Resisting the temptation to buy!
 Pretty Sweet Peas in every shade of pastel imaginable
peonies
Pink peonies
Some seriously stunning hydrangea







Photos all my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment